On Thursday 30th January I’ll be coordinating a 24 hour tweeting project for students’ unions across the UK to showcase what they do.
The project, using the #ourSUday hashtag, aims to highlight the variety of things we do.
Students’ unions, associations and guilds across the UK will be tweeting a running commentary of our day to day activities. This is based on similar ‘tweetathons’ by councils, police forces and the UK housing sector.
I was originally planning to do this for the University of Sussex Students’ Union where I work to try to give an insight into what we do and how we operate. I realised it would be fairly easy to get other students’ unions involved to and that it would be a good way to show what we do across the sector.
Often people at our own universities aren’t aware of what students’ unions do (and sometimes, that they even exist!). I’m hoping that #ourSUday will help correct this.
On the day, I’m expecting tweets like this:
- Officer team meet to discuss the proposed new cycle lanes #oursuday
- A student has visited the Advice Centre to get their housing tenancy agreement checked to ensure it is fair #oursuday
- Emily, Shop Supervisor, adds more hoodies to the shop’s display – they’ve been very popular recently! #oursuday
- The evening team take over in our bar. They’re just some of the hundreds of students we employ #oursuday
- The hockey team have just started warming up for their weekly fitness training session #oursuday
- Another busy day in our Finance Office as they send out cheques for the stuff we’ve bought this week #oursuday
I plan to sift through and collect some of them using Storify.
If you have any questions or your students’ union would like to take part please email firstname.lastname@example.org.